Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Click and Clack


My car broke down last night. I have always been taught that I should be grateful for my trials. Today is the first time I feel overwhelmed with gratitude for my mishap, as stressed out as the logistical nightmare made me. My blessed car's failure was the catalyst to me ending things with Drew. And...it ended as abruptly as it began.


Peter and I were on a mission last night to find the last remaining piece to a Batman collection given out in McDonalds Happy Meals. I am morally against McDonalds food (except for their ice cream) and Peter has no taste for it. We never go there to purchase food but rather to collect their $1.50 toys. These toys are much sturdier than other cheap toys and with the whole collection, little boys can have hours of fun together. We were on a quest for the Joker's helicopter. Sadly, at each McDonalds we were greeted with the disappointing news that the Batman collection was history...there were no helicopters...they had moved on to the Robotics collection. Too bad.

While we were driving around, however, I noticed that my car was having increasing difficulty. It was as if gas was not getting to it although I was flooring it. Finally, it died. From a parking lot, I called Drew. Of course! Drew! He is a car genius. Owner of a tow truck and in the repo and auction business, Drew claims that he can fix any problem in any car. I gave Drew a jingle. "So," he asks, "what are you going to do? Are you going to call a tow truck?" Now...a little background. Drew and I have been getting fairly serious. We have seen each other every day. He usually comes over in the evening and I make a dinner, send him home with freshly baked bread, etc. When I went to Utah with my sister's, I was so excited to bring him home some clothes I had found for him at the outlet stores. He has been talking to me about wanting to get married, how many children I want...the works!

When I am into someone, my days are spent trying to think of ways I could make his life better....how I could serve him. That is why I was speechless when he asked me if I was going to call a tow truck...with no offer of coming to help his damsel in distress! Who was this guy?
He then said, "Do you have a shop you could take it to tomorrow?" Again, aghast. I finally asked him if he would be willing to take a look at it. He hesitated and then said, "Well, then it is as if I am married to your car. I mean everytime you have a problem with it, you will call me!" It was at that moment that the thought of kissing him...a thought I used to love...repusled me to the core. Who was this person? Why would I consider spending another minute with him?

I went to bed instantly last night. I didn't even want to think about the situation. My car problems worried me...but, I was crushed about Drew. Let down. Why am I such an idiot? When I finally got my car to the shop after pushing it through an intersection and arranging for a tow truck, I was relieved and grateful. I am glad I didn't expend any more energy on this guy....grateful that my car gave me this hassle now...instead of four months down the road! Why am I such an idiot? Do I ever learn?

2 comments:

Jen said...

AGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH! I can't believe the nerve. Lola- good move! He should be left in the dust!

Mercedes said...

Wow...you are so strong. How are you so good to these guys and get nothing in return.