Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Butterflies


I am embarrassed to be writing this. Embarrassed that I have been so wrong. I must thank Jane for inspiring me to rethink things. She wondered if I had not been guilty of jumping to conclusions too quickly.


After the car episode, Drew and I didn't speak for about five days. During this time, I found myself really missing him...craving to be with him. I tried to suffocate these feelings because logically, I didn't want to be with someone who was so reluctant to help me in need! On one of these days, I spoke with Jane. She wondered if perhaps I wasn't been a little too harsh...if maybe I had seen things from a skewed perspective. I couldn't believe she was questioning my judgement! I thought about this a lot. The following day, I was to teach Sunday School to my 16 year olds and Relief Society. Since I usually don't teach people my age, I was a little more nervous than normal. Because it was also Fast Sunday, I tried with extra effort to have the Spirit guide me, calm me and inspire me to know His Will. Throughout my morning, I had the impression multiple times, "Talk to Drew".


Druing one of the breaks in the hallway, I ran into Drew. I only felt excitement to see him. I gave him a hug which nearly knocked him over. He really wasn't expecting such a greeting from me....and I understood why. It really hadn't ended prettily. After he caught his breath, I asked him if we could talk. He said yes.


Later that afternoon, we talked....and I learned. I learned, with dismay and embarrassment, that my long exposure to the Mid-singles group has infected me...in a negative way. In my experiences, I have had many conversations with men in their 30s. When we talk frankly about dating, I have asked them point blank why it is they don't ask women out. Why has dating come to a screeching halt in our midsingles world? They have expressed a fear of rejection but they have also expressed contempt and resentment for having to be the one to foot the bill during the "getting -to-know-eachother" period of time. During some conversations, we have talked specifically about how long that period of time lasts. Regardless, due to these types of conversations, I have tried to be very sensitive to men I go out with...and always offer to pay.


So....my first date with Drew. We took Charlie to the batting cages. Drew took out his wallet to pay. I remember it clearly...I pushed his hand away and said, "Oh, don't think that I expect you to pay for this." In his poor mind (as he explained to me), he thought, "Whoa...a lot has changed during the 25 years I was married. I am dealing with a completely different type of woman." So for the few weeks that we hung out, Drew was walking around me as if on egg shells...not wanting to upset this uber-independent woman of the new century. And here I was wondering why this giving and loving man did not take pleasure in taking care of his damsel...especially when she was in distress.


As we talked, I realized with horror my complete folly! What an idiot Lola is! I wonder how many other relationships I have sabbotoged so completely and unknowingly!


I was so grateful that Drew was open to forgive me and forget my poor behavior. In fact, he has labeled the whole experience "Butterflies". If I refer to it, he quickly interjects, "Oh, you mean Butterflies?"

4 comments:

Jane said...

Hi Lola! I'm glad things are working out with Drew. By the way, I think you mean "Jane", not "Jill" asked you some slightly offensive questions that worked out well anyway...

Jen said...

ahhh- lola- I have no words. I hope Jane is right but I would have done the same thing.

Matt said...

As a Midsingle well- adjusted, high-functioning guy myself in my 30s, I have to say this blog cracks me up.

Where I live, typically there are more active GUYS at church and church activities than the women.

And two, most guys I know are tired of dating LDS women simply because they don't appreciate them. Period. Most guys here have been turned down repeatedly by the local Midsingle women. Good guys with straight teeth, good jobs, strong testimonies, and winning personalities.

If guys are not making at least $100k, own a $500K condo, and drive the latest BMW, and women could care less.

Ironically, they are the ones the run into the Bishop's office in tears why they're not dating and the men "are not stepping up".

But if the women would actually say hi in the hallways to the guys, showed some real interest, and saw the true strength that active Midsingle guys in their 30s have, maybe guys would venture on a date with LDS women.

But more and more around here, a lot of active guys are dating non-member women who appreciate them more.

Lola said...

Where do you live, Matt.. I am curious.