Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Latter-day Sublimate

My name is Claire. I am 34 years old and single. All else aside, there is nothing startling or strange about these facts. However, as a member of the Mormon Church, these facts set me apart from everything that is normal and good and desired. If you had been raised in a community like mine, the combination of "34-year old woman" and "single" would undoubtedly raise even your eyebrows. "What is wrong with her?" "Why is she single?" "What is her story?"

I have, in some unexpected ways, taken the road less travelled....and I do have a story. As one travelling through uncharted territory, too proud to ask for directions, finds himself (no assumptions...i just had to pick one) lost and disoriented, my destination of "over 30 and single" has not been my proclaimed pursuit. Nonetheless, I find myself here certainly because of my choices, however unconscious they may have been.

Despite my separateness, I find myself feeling a part...everywhere. As I let my humanity connect me to those around me...perhaps by exposing it...almost scandalously, my days are filled with laughter...at my situations, my interactions, my son, and most often...myself.

I do believe, especially on the days that I am blessed with hysteria about my life, that laughter is good for the soul...and great for the body.

No comments: